Tweet

Pages

Victor's Kitchen Dim Sum Singapore

My favorite item from a dim sum restaurant is the custard buns. I still remember the first time I bite into the bun and it literally exploded and the piping hot egg custard came oozing out!

I googled to find any dim sum places in Singapore that is not too expensive. There are many recommendations but mostly are in Orchard Road and they are on the pricey side. A search in HungryGoWhere brings me to Victor's Kitchen. It's one unpretentious little shop with close to no decoration and tables are all jumbled together to sit as many people as possible. It's almost like the Hong Kong Char Chan Teng feel.


It's at the far end of Sunshine Plaza next to manga and printing shops.


A look into Victor's Kitchen. Most of the tables are placed together in a long row so people have to share their tables. The yellow stickers on the walls are all written "MUST TRY: CUSTARD BUN".


The other reason I took the 1 hour bus here is to try the HK Summer Ice Tea (香港夏日冰镇奶茶,$3). Everybody knows I loveeeeeeeee my milk tea, especially if it sits in a pool of ice so it would be kept undiluted. We enjoyed both the milk tea and the Chicken & Sausage glutinous rice. My first impression wasn't good. It looks white and..plain. But damn, was I wrong, it was fragrant, packed with loads of meat and it was drizzled in the meat sauce hence made it sticky.


Her World magazine review of the best custard buns in Singapore. I am soooooo excited to try the custard bun since it's so highly raved about!


Meh. I bite into it and there's no sauce exploding out. What disappointment! It's a really ordinary custard bun. Either we're unlucky to get one lousy basket or it IS really not up to expectation.


The rest of the things are nothing to shout about. They're mediocre and costs about $3-$4 per basket.

I might go back again to try out the custard bun. I can't believe it's that ordinary when everyone else has praised it and wrote about how good they are!

Victor's Kitchen

91 Bencoolen Street #01-21,

Sunshine Plaza,

Singapore.

+65 9838 2851

5 comments:

Candy: The food OKAY only lah!

maybe you ordered the wrong custard bun. there are two types. the flowy one should be 'Liu Sha bao'

I agreed with josze, the food is ok only, but not really worth it considering the price they charge, it's not cheap! And I have come across a lot of people encountered bad service from them, I myself had one experience and that is enough to stop me from going there again!!!

Anon: Yup I ordered the Liu Sha Bao!

Anon: Agree. The waiters services are quite bad, partly because the place is always packed and they're always busy!

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More