Tweet

Pages

Kiasuland.

My system has the most annoying "The instruction at "0x0c175969" referenced memory at "0x0c123456", the memory could not be read". It's stopping me from launching the project and I've been so busy trying to figure things out that I don't even have time to drink so I don't have to pee. My other daily support load was sky rocket high so recently I've been nothing but frustrated at work. My colleagues asked me about it and gave quite a few suggestions on what might go wrong. They have zero knowledge on this system, because we don't have job rotation kind of stuff so everyone just mind their own work. They asked me some details and took part of my stuff to their PC. Although I'm in my cubicle, I can hear them discussing about it.

By the time I look at the time, it's already 7pm on a Friday night. I walked out of my cubicle and saw them still there, still discussing about the memory issue. I told them not to discuss about it already. Go home! It's not even your business. Don't OT because of something not related to you. Go home!

They say "hey don't worry about it. we're team mates. we have time so we can help to check our PC and Windows config and see what might cause the memory failure."



I have been working a full 15 hours daily for months and by that time I was pretty exhausted and when they say that, I was freaking touched and I nearly teared. NEARLY.

Let me tell you guys something. The people I met here throughout my 2 years are nothing but nice. Where did the perception that Singaporeans are kiasu come from? Why do I perceive them that way all my life? Why? Because these 2 years I've met countless helpful people at work, on the road and in the mall. My colleagues are not just nice to me. Every time someone run into any issue, everyone jumps in and help without credit. Since they have helped me a great deal, if they run into any problem, I'll also 上刀山下油锅 for them too. I guess that's how the whole help-each-other culture formed?



Is it because I haven't lived here long enough and have not gone out often enough and meet more people? Am I just lucky to have come across all these helpful people? Or have we wrongly perceive the locals here to be kiasu? I think I need to go out more and maybe I can finally find all the kiasu people in this kiasu land.

7 comments:

lol yeah. maybe because you are pretty

Maybe cos you didn't apply static guard.

ha static guard?? at first glance it's pretty funny. But really, they're not just nice to me!

Keke.. this is the "official explanation of the error message from microsoft"

This error message occurs because the operating system does not allocate a large enough buffer for the maximum string length that is permitted. When the data is larger than the buffer size, your computer generates the error message. (with some slight edits)

Why a buffer overflow is happening however ... err.. sorry need to see the codes to know why it's happening... :D

Martian: turns out it's due to the PC registry setting and environment variable that was configured. There's no code. It's an exe! So i stopped taking the trouble and filed a ticket to the vendor instead. haha.

walao martian geng... joan nex time post ur problem in ur blog

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More