Tweet

Pages

No Plastic Bag day

My exbf used to criticize me for "not doing anything meaningful with my life" i.e. recycle stuff. He said he did his part by separating his rubbish from recyclable stuff at home.

*rolls eyes.

Ya I know. Quite wtf right like that also can say me not doing anything meaningful.




And isn't it ironic enough that my boy now owns a recycling company haha. I *ehem* don't do anything meaningful with my life but I found someone who's in it full force wtf.

When I was in the States, I see all the Go Green posters everywhere. My sister's friend invited us over for dinner at her house in Seattle and she told us that they have to separate all their rubbish into different bags. Different kind of recyclable garbage in different bags. All normal garbage would be collected on certain day like Monday and recyclable ones on a different day i.e. Wednesday. If the garbage collectors found everything dumped into 1 bag and if they find certain quantity of recyclable goods in a non recyclable garbage bag then they will fine you.

I think that's a brilliant idea. That will force everyone to do their part. And to think that they actually allocate 1 day to collect your recyclable goods.

Then there's Malaysia.

Going green isn't too big a deal here. But recently all the malls and hypermarts started to practise this "No Plastic Bag" day. They either have 1 counter that is always No-Plastic-Bag counter or they have certain day that they don't provide non environmental friendly plastics.

The Penang government has declared every Monday as "No Plastic Day" beginning July 1.

I didn't know. Obviously.

Coz last Monday in Giant Hypermart I have a whole trolley of groceries, paid and then discovered it's No-Plastic-Bag day. They gave me the option of either purchasing the Giant bag OR RM0.20 for each plastic bag.

Being the cheapo that I am, I refused to buy either. I was thinking it's fine I'll just push the trolley to my car and throw everything into my car. What's the big deal?

The big deal is, I forgot I have to carry everything from my car to my apartment, which is maybe 1000 steps + 12 floors.

Haih. So I end up walking back to my apartment, grab 5 plastic bags and go down again to put everything in to carry back.

I consider that my exercise of the day. And to think that I skipped gym earlier that day coz lazy. wtf.

So all, please remember, don't shop on Mondays. Or bring your own bags!

7 comments:

ok la. i hate the no shopping bag day. i have to hold my apples and vege in hand cos they didnt give me plastic bag.. In IKEA also the same... A bit ridiculous this kind of idea. I prefer they let us choose to use plastic bag or not. I need those plastic bags to use as garbage bags.. I never throw away plastic bag like people do...

I actually like the "No Plastic Bag Day" implementation. We can always bring along our own shopping bag/环保袋 or put it as a spare in your car. At home we are doing the garbage separation too and contribute to 慈济 every month. They will come to our department to collect. Remember, this is just a starting point. If we never try to adapt, we can never start our 1st step. If people can do it, why can't we?

Pik Lay... when you throw away your garbage means u are already throwing away ur plastic bag mah.. hahaha

I support No Plastic Bag day!

without plastic bag, how u want to pack garbage? hold in your hand and stand there wait for garbage collector to come and pass to him? duh..... the message is for people that simple throw away plastic bag .. not supposed for ppl that reuse it....

in green concept, it is not about reuse only. the other 2 important one are recycle, reduce. basically reusing the plastic beg to pack garbage isn't about green... :)

joan, just fyi. penang state government is planning a bigger scale of non-plastic-day soon, probably October?... by then, you cannot hide from no-shopping-on-Monday looh.

PikLay: They actually let us choose whether you want to use the plastic bag or not. Only with the extra charge of RM0.20 per bag now.I used to be damn cheapo last time always try to grab as many tesco plastic bag as I could to use as garbage bag. But now I don't anymore. I wonder if those designated garbage bags sold is biodegradable.

Angie: Its good that Msia is actually taking some actions to go green. I have tons of newspaper and magazines and clothes and stuff that I need to throw for recycle. I kept asking around now I found out the bin is behind the Shell station near Sunshine. Good!

Xweing: I think there's certain type of plastic bags that can be used as garbage bags. Now I try to get my own shopping bag. But a bit auntie. but never mind lah!

Plastic Beg: I plan to get my own shopping bag. But need to be big enough coz I always buy a lot each time I do grocery shopping. Need to go look for one!

I have to agree with Pik Lay here. I'm not against the no plastic day. but reusing plastic bags from supermarkets is a great way of reducing carbon footprint. Tell me, how do you dispose your garbage? You don't simply empty all your rubbish into rubbish bins right? Buy designated black garbage plastic bags? Is there any difference? From what I know, plastic bags from tesco and the likes will "self-destruct" after many months. That to me is definitely a better plastic bag to use than sturdy black plastic bags that is hard to break down. How can rubbish in those black plastic bags decompose if the plastic bags do not break down in the first place?

All that being said, I used to grab as many plastic bags as I can when I shopped at tesco. Guess what, I accumulated too much and a lot of them broke down after some time in the drawer :P lesson learned. don't be greedy

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More